Category Archives: The Money

Quinn gets campaign contribution from Coca Cola

“The American soft-drink industry, fighting Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg’s restrictions on sugary drink sizes, is courting a lawmaker who could eventually have the influence to overturn the rules: Christine C. Quinn. . . Executives from the Coca-Cola Company donated nearly $10,000 this month to Ms. Quinn’s campaign.”

Posted in 2013 Race, The Money |

Discretionary Funds for Mayoral Race

“As the Manhattan Democrat contemplates her campaign for mayor, she enjoys a political boon that has to make her opponents salivate — millions of dollars in pork that’s hers to hand out like party favors…‘Having tens of millions of dollars available to distribute to Council members and their constituents translates to votes,’ said Baruch College political scientist Doug Muzzio. ‘It gives her an advantage, a significant advantage, as a matter of fact.’”

Posted in 2013 Race, Piggy Bank, Slush Funds, The Money |

Quinn in the Slush

Christine Quinn comments on her political future after slush fund scandal: “If I asked one more person, ‘Do you think I’ll be able to run for another office some day?’ Either people said yes, and I said, ‘Oh you’re full of it, you’re just lying to me, you want to make me feel better,’ or they said no, and I’d be crushed.”

Quinn declines answer on slush funds

“Asked about changing her tune on the slush fund scandal, Quinn clams up and declines to answer.”

Stringer Calls out Quinn in WSJ

Scott Stringer calls out Quinn in the Wall Street Journal, “There was no slush fund in my office…I don’t give out money based on political considerations to favorite council members.” 

Pork gives quinn political advantage

“As the Manhattan Democrat contemplates her campaign for mayor, she enjoys a political boon that has to make her opponents salivate — millions of dollars in pork that’s hers to hand out like party favors . . .’Having tens of millions of dollars available to distribute to Council members and their constituents translates to votes,’ said Baruch College political scientist Doug Muzzio. ‘It gives her an advantage, a significant advantage, as a matter of fact.'”

Related contribution

“Quinn took in more than $17,000 in campaign donations connected to Hudson Yards developer Related Cos. since the start of 2012 . . . During the same six-month period, Quinn privately negotiated a deal that gave the firm a break from the recently passed law that raises to $10 an hour the pay for lower-income employees who work for companies that receive major subsidies from City Hall.”

Posted in 2013 Race, Backroom Deals, Campaign Corruption, Conflict of Interest, Real Estate, The Money |

real estate money

“With so much cash, Quinn had donors in all sectors but she did particularly well with the real estate industry, attorneys and finance. Based on Campaign Finance Board data, Quinn had the most donation intermediaries, or bundlers, of any official.”

Ms. Quinn has the elites

“Ms. Quinn also has another thing: the so-called elites. These are the people and groups who make up the Partnership for New York City, the Association for a Better New York, who work on Wall Street or in real estate and who make up for votes with money and editorial board influence.”